Statement pieces instantly transform your Pittsburgh home from a bland, boring box to an inspired space that truly reflects of your personality.Whether you're planning a renovation or simply need to spruce up a space, you’ll want to take a look at these interesting ways to incorporate statement pieces in your interior design scheme.
Create a Focal Point in the Living or Dining Room
Do you remember the last time you were truly impressed by a living or dining room? Most people decorate these public rooms by buying a suite of matching furniture from a big box furniture store and adding a few knick knacks and paintings. Although there’s nothing wrong with the safe approach to decorating, it certainly doesn’t result in memorable rooms.
Add interest to your living room or dining room by adding one of these statement pieces:
- A Feature Wall: Paint one wall a bold color or cover it with textured wallpaper to create a show-stopping feature wall.
- One-of-a-Kind Furniture: Seek out local and online furniture companies that offer unique pieces, like vintage sofas, repurposed coffee tables, custom-made dining tables or interesting lamps.
- Floor-to-Ceiling Windows: Do you have a killer view? Showcase it with floor-to-ceiling windows. If the windows look out over a deck or patio, consider folding varieties that open fully to create an indoor/outdoor entertaining space.
- Unforgettable Rugs: Rugs add a splash of color to any room, particularly when you bypass mass-produced floor coverings and choose handmade offerings.
- Interesting Artwork: Choose artwork you love rather than pieces that will match the furniture or walls. Oversize pieces instantly draw the eye, but you can also group paintings to create a larger display. Limit groupings to no more than three pieces. Larger groupings can overwhelm the eyes and detract from the room’s design rather than enhance it.
- Colorful Elements: Adding a splash of color to any object in the room is a simple way to create a statement. Whether you choose a purple couch, rainbow-hued rug or bold window coverings, adding an eye-catching color is a simple way to generate interest.
Make Your Foyer Unforgettable
Your visitors begin forming an impression of your home the moment they step through your door, yet foyers are often overlooked when homeowners decorate. Remedy the problem by adding an over-size chandelier or a ceiling fan that incorporates a few decorative touches. Don’t overwhelm the small space with too many statement pieces. A colorful chair, large mirror or an imported sideboard is all you need to subtly convey your decorating style.
Don’t Overlook the Bedrooms
Beds are ideal statement pieces due to their large size. Add a four-poster bed to the guest room, or embrace your love of the minimalist design style with a sleek upholstered platform bed. Use understated pieces in the rest of the room to ensure that you don’t detract from the visual impact of your statement piece.
Do you already have a few statement pieces in mind but don’t have anywhere to put them? Master Remodelers can help you renovate your living spaces and even add on to your home if you need a little more room. Contact us to discuss your renovation plans.
Elle Décor: 9 Ways to Make a Statement Piece Work in Your Home
Houzz: Wow Factor